Saturday, July 13, 2013

My Paper Dolls for the 2013 Comic Con Art Show


The 2013 San Diego Comic Con is less than a week away and I am very happy that I've finished all the paper dolls that I wanted to make for the art show. Art set-up is this Wednesday, July 17th at the San Diego Convention Center Sails Pavilion. 

Below are my paper dolls that I will be displaying at the Art Show. In addition to my finished dolls, I wanted to share again the inspirations behind their creations. Enjoy!


MERMAID PAPER DOLLS

Mermaid Paper Doll #81 - Seaweed and Waves




My "Seaweed and Waves" mermaid was influenced by the ocean itself. I wanted her to reflect the rhythmic flow of the seaweeds undulating back and forth among the ocean waves.


Mermaid Paper Doll #82 - Ghost Ship Maiden



"Ghost Ship Maiden" was inspired by the eerie scene of a sunken ship and its ruins resting at the bottom of the quiet ocean floor. I like to imagine that she acquired her look from gathering different parts from the shipwreck.


Mermaid Paper Doll #83 - Sagittarius



My "Sagittarius" mermaid was based on another design of mine that I made during a brief business venture with two of my sisters. We had a small t-shirt graphic business called "Three Sweet Yams" and each of us created a different line of t-shirt designs for both women and children. My line included little cute lady faces representing the twelve zodiac signs. The picture above shows exactly my "Sagittarius" lady face screen printed on a baby t-shirt. The baby wearing the shirt is my niece Elisa back when she was less than one years old.

My Sagittarius design was one of my favorites and I thought I'd create a mermaid version to celebrate it. 


Mermaid Paper Doll #84 - Watercolor Tattoo





"Watercolor Tattoo" mermaid was inspired by the tattoo art of Slovakian artist Ivana Belakova, as well as, my friend Jenn and her new tattoo by Belakova. Before Jenn got her new tattoo, she showed me various photos of Belakova's tattoo art and I thought her art was very stunning and reminded me a lot of watercolor paintings. 

I made this mermaid as a forethought of Jenn and her future Belakova tattoo since I made my mermaid before Jenn got her tattoo. However, I did include photos of her (first three tattoo photos above) after she got inked. The last three photos are other examples of tattoo designs by Belakova.


Mermaid Paper Doll #85 - Steampunk Sally



"Steampunk Sally" mermaid was influenced by the highly eclectic and historical fashion style of Steampunk. Steampunk fashion is kind of the perfect blend of old world style (usually around the 19th century) and modern innovation. In addition, I really appreciate the elaborate accessories that go into a great Steampunk outfit so I put a lot detail into "Sally's" jewelry and other accessories.


Mermaid Paper Doll #86 - Blue Winter Roses "An Ode to Lyanna Stark"



"Blue Winter Roses" was highly inspired by Lyanna Stark, a character from the book series "A Song of Ice and Fire" (or others know it by the HBO television show "Game of Thrones") by George R.R. Martin. She was described as beautiful with dark hair, grey eyes, and a long face that characterized the Stark family. She was fond of the blue winter roses that grew in her homeland Winterfell. Also, Lyanna was the younger sister of Lord Eddard Stark and her early death in the story is surrounded by a lot theories and mysteries. 

As a huge fan, I am one of those believers that Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen (pictured above) were in love and from their love produced a son, Jon Snow. I like to think that at the center of "A Song of Ice and Fire" is a doomed, but epic love story between Lyanna (Ice) and Rhaegar (Fire). I wanted to express this idea of Lyanna and Rhaegar's tragic love through my "Blue Winter Roses" Mermaid.


BEBE PAPER DOLLS

Bebe Paper Doll #22 - Bebe on Fire "An Ode to Katniss Everdeen"



"Bebe on Fire" was based on Katniss Everdeen, the main character in the book series "The Hunger Games", who appears in a key scene wearing a gown of flames. Of course, I was inspired by the actress Jennifer Lawrence's gown from the movie and from the descriptions presented in the book itself.


Bebe Paper Doll #23 - Kimono Anime




"Kimono Anime" is my Special Edition Bebe Paper Doll made especially around the same time as the San Diego Comic Con. She is made multi-jointed for more movability and anime action. Also, "Kimono Anime" is based on the ever popular manga drawings of girls in their kimonos.


Bebe Paper Doll #24 - Princess Bebe the Swan



Bebe Paper Doll#24 "Princess Bebe the Swan" is clearly based on the Japanese anime character Jun the Swan of "Gatchaman" and the American adaption "G-Force: Guardians of Space" where she was called Princess. As a kid, I was a big fan of the awesome bird helmets! This Bebe Paper Doll is also double-jointed for more movability.


CENTAUR PAPER DOLLS

Centaur Paper Doll #4 - French Country




I started making my Centaur paper dolls last year when my oldest son, Paco, asked me to create one. "French Country" is just my fourth Centaur paper doll made and I thought it would be fun to showcase one at the art show. My half-horse, half-lady doll was inspired by the warm, romantic, and rustic-look of a french countryside...at least that's how I imagine how a french countryside would appear.



TRUE BLOOD ERIC NORTHMAN PAPER DOLL

Eric Paper Doll - Black Long Sleeve Shirt



I started making my Eric Northman Paper Dolls back when HBO's "True Blood" Season 2 came out. At the time, I was very enamoured with Alexander Skarsgard's Eric Northman. He was definitely one of my pretend boyfriends during that period. But as time went on and I lost interest with "True Blood" especially during Season 4, I stopped making my Eric Paper Dolls. But I decided for this year's Comic Con Art Show, I would make one especially for it. This Eric Paper Doll is wearing his usual all-black clothing.


All my paper dolls will be up for auction during the Comic Con and any paper dolls not sold will be added to my Etsy shop Rock Paper Tekla. Thanks, again, for stopping by and I look forward to sharing my time at this year's San Diego Comic Con in a later blog post!


4 comments:

  1. YOU ARE AMAZING. I wished I could do that... all I can do is cook. Following you now everywhere... do you have a badge? I'd love to add it to my website!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words and for stopping by! I really wish I could cook...honestly, I am not the best cook! I do have a button or badge that you can grab just look for it along the right hand side of my blog. xo

      Delete
  2. We won two of your pieces, Watercolor Tattoo and Blue Winter Roses at the Comic Con convention Art Show. We bid on Steampunk Sally too, but got outbid at the last minute. Your work is stunning! I'm planning a Mermaid and fairy themed nursery around it. It's going to be beautiful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that you love my mermaids! They are my favorites to make! And thank you for the kind words too.

      A mermaid and fair themed nursery...so fun! Please do send me photos of your completed nursery, I'd love to see it :)

      Thanks again!
      xo, Jessica

      Delete