Sunday, September 8, 2013

Novak Djokovic: Pretend Boyfriend, Tennis Great, and a Man Against War


I am a huge tennis fan! My interest in tennis first started during the Summer of 1985 when I saw 17-year old Boris Becker win his first Wimbledon. Becker was my first pretend tennis boyfriend! However, since Becker, I haven't had any other deeply profound crushes on a professional tennis player at least not until I laid eyes on Novak Djokovic.
I've been following Djokovic since 2007 when he played and lost against Roger Federer at the U.S. Open Finals. As of today, he is ranked World #1 by the Association of Tennis Professionals and is considered one of the greatest tennis players of all time. Of course, I could care less what he's ranked in the tennis world. Besides being absolutely hot and a pleasure to watch play tennis with such supreme athleticism, I love most of all that he is a man 100 percent against the destructiveness of war. In a recent interview, Djokovic recounted his experience as a child growing up in Belgrade during the 78-day NATO bombing of 1999 and he was asked what his thoughts were about the potential of war in relation to a possible military strike on Syria:
"I am totally against any kind of weapon, any kind of air strike, missile attack. I'm totally against anything that is destructive. Because I had this personal experience, I know it cannot bring any good to anybody. 
Those particular times that me and my fellow countrymen and colleagues from Serbia have been through is definitely, you know, a period of life that we don't wish anybody to experience. 
The war is the worst thing in life for humanity. Nobody really wins."
I greatly admire any man against war. And I think it is wonderful to see an athlete take such a strong political stance during this day and age.
To celebrate my deep crush on Djokovic, I wanted to share some of my favorite pictures of him both on- and off- the tennis court. Enjoy!















This Monday Djokovic will play Rafael Nadal in the 2013 U.S. Open Men's Championship. I obviously would love to see Djokovic prevail, but I know regardless if he wins or loses, he will still be one of tennis's greatest players and one of my favorite men to watch on court!

Cheers to Djokovic!

4 comments:

  1. Currently drooling! Since going gluten free I have been a huge fan of him:) Even though I wasn't sure who to root for, I was sad to see him lose the US Open on Monday.

    Cheers,
    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty sad too to see him lose...Nadal is pretty fierce at the moment in tennis! I will always root for Djokovic though :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I don't know much about the tennis world but he is so good-looking!! And yay he wears Uniqlo :) The tennis player I've been hearing a lot about recently from my country is Genie Bouchard. She's doing pretty good for her age!

    Thanks for visiting my blog too :)

    A Splash Of Tan

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa... hello there! He's attractive. I like watching both men's and women's tennis but only if I happen to see it on. I don't often make a point to see it.

    ReplyDelete