Monday, August 12, 2013

Comic Book Artist - Oliver Nome

Carlos got back home from getting our 1991 Toyota Corolla smog tested (amazingly after 22 years it still passed) and he returned with this week's San Diego CityBeat,  a local alternative weekly newspaper. I was instantly drawn to CityBeat's latest cover which featured a black and white drawing "Dream, Death, and friends" by comic artist Oliver Nome. It was the first time I've ever heard of Nome or even seen his art but I became an instant fan the moment I saw this cover. 



I particularly love his stylized comic art fused with such great depth, detail, and sense of fashion. For example, "Dream, Death, and friends" is stunningly creepy yet gorgeous. Moreover, Nome pulls together all these fantastic characters on one page yet what I love is that each character is drawn with such profound and unique details that they each alone stand as subjects for different tales to be told. 

Through his art and story in CityBeat, I also discovered that Nome is currently fighting brain cancer. He was first diagnosed with a brain tumor in 2012. His friends have set up a non-profit charity through OnePenny.org to help with the unnecessary financial hardship that many cancer patients and their families have to endure. I think Nome is an amazing artist and I hope he beats this cancer. 


Here are some of my favorite artworks by Nome:


"Chaos and Couture" 

 "Yumi-Kumi Oh Oh"

"Princess Mononoke"

 
"Zatanna"

"Dream, Death, and friends"

 
"Harley Q in Nome Couture" 

 "Lady Mechanika"


"Death in Couture"

"Edward Scissorhands"

"Cloak and Dagger"


Stunning work, Oliver Nome! Get well soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment