Monday, March 25, 2013

Pinned It and Made It

My latest Pinterest-inspired crafts include several very simple projects. All of them involve just a couple of supplies that are easily found everyday objects. Also, construction of these crafts requires hardly any use of tools except for maybe a pair of scissors. 

The first Pinterest-inspired craft, that I call Paper Mini-Crowns, is based on a pin (that I repinned from someone else's board) from my Pinterest Board "Dress Up and Play". I made these cute mini-crowns out of craft paper for my goddaughter's 10th Birthday party.  Although the pinned version crowns were made using felt fabric, I opted to use paper. This decision was mostly due to the fact that I didn't have any felt fabric handy at home and I only had a few hours to make them.

I drew a quick crown template (my version is 7-point crown rather than 5-point), cut it out, and used it to trace a handful of different colored and patterned paper crowns. I used clear scotch tape to close and create the cylinder shaped crown together. Again, I didn't have much time so scotch tape seemed like the best quick solution. I also cut out paper circles attached with tape to the bottom of the crowns. I then attached plastic headbands underneath the bottom of the paper crowns using more scotch tape.  Moreover, I added little cut out paper embellishments to each crown by gluing for example small circles or flowers to the top of the each crown point. In the end, the paper crowns looked party fabulous and all my little nieces (and even my little nephew, Milo, and my son Tomás) loved wearing their mini crowns!

Pinned It
The felt fabric mini-crowns.

Made It
My nieces and their paper mini-crowns.


These next two Pinterest-inspired projects involve the use of cinder or concrete blocks. I've come to appreciate these heavy, industrial looking blocks not only for their affordability but for their versatility. If you do a search on Pinterest on concrete blocks, you will be amazed by the multitude of designs made by using these blocks.

One such design that seemed pretty simple was using concrete blocks as the base of a coffee table. By using any wood table top (e.g. store bought or salvaged hardwood boards) and placing it over a couple of cinder blocks, you've created an inexpensive, unique, and instant coffee table. We made a very basic version of this DIY coffee table for our backyard using two concrete blocks as the base and a piece of left-over butcher block countertop. Also, I made sure to coat the wood with water seal exterior wood spray to help protect it from water damage.

Pinned It
DIY coffee table made from wood board and concrete blocks. A pin from my "Outdoor Living Spaces" board.

Made It
Our small DIY coffee table.

Another concrete block design discovered through Pinterest was a garden planter made entirely of concrete blocks. Not only do they work perfectly as planters but they also make great statement pieces when stacked randomly. We had some extra concrete blocks (a total of 6) in our backyard and decided they would work well as planters for our small herb garden. So far we've planted orange mint, rosemary, and a garlic plant inside our new concrete block planter. 

Pinned It
My pin of a cinder block planter.

Made It
Concrete block herb planter in our backyard.


I hope you enjoyed my latest "Pinned It and Made It" post! It is my goal to try to make at least one inspiration per year and so far I am ahead of the game. Up next, I think I'll try to a new recipe or perhaps make a cocktail or two!

Happy Pinning!

5 comments:

  1. Those are great! The hats are super cute and the table and planters are perfect! I may have to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. who knew cinder blocks were so versatile! as for you mini-crowns, they were a hit with the kiddies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. COOL IDEAS I like the idea of actually PINNING and then MAKING things :) so often I just pin....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Pinned it post, great ideas! Just found you on This Girls Life Blog Here's an invitation to add your blog to Japanese Gardens & Geisha Girls WW w/Linky And would love for your to follow Bloglovin too.... Hope you have a great day and Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete