Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Homemade Valentine's Day Cards

For this Valentine's Day, my boys decided to skip the store bought Valentine's Day cards and make their own cards for their classmates. So I head over to Michael's, my favorite one-stop shop to buy affordable arts and crafts supplies, to gather the necessary items for their Valentine card craft project. I love Michael's! Not only does this store have weekly discount coupons but their prices are hard to beat. For less than $15 I was able to get a huge lot of Valentine's Day themed crafting supplies for Paco and Tomás. 

I bought an assortment of heart and candy stickers, four Valentine's Day rubber stamps (only 90 cents each), and 6 packages of an 8-pack blank card set (in pink, red, and heart-patterned). Of course for the rubber stamps you'll need an ink pad (costs about $5) which luckily I have several at home that I use for my paper dolls. Just FYI, my favorite ink pad brand is 'StazOn'. It dries super fast in just a few seconds!

Part of my crafting loot from Michael's.

The boys had an option of creating regular cards or postcards. Tomás went for the regular card design and Paco wanted to do a postcard version. So for the postcards, we just cut the regular cards in half...as simple as that! With all their craft supplies spread out in front of them, they got to work! Take a look at some of their creations:

Paco's postcard-like Valentine's Day cards.

Tomás's Valentine's Day card designs (front).

A look inside one of Tomás's cards.

Of course, the boys also taped a lollipop to each of their classmate's Valentine's cards. They would not be complete without a special treat!  

I can't say enough how much I adore seeing my boys work so hard as well as put so much love into their designs. They both had a lot of fun making them and they look wonderful! Carlos and I are so proud of them!

Happy 'the day before' Valentine's Day!


10 comments:

  1. Cute cards, and a happy day before Valentine's Day to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much better than store bought! These are special little treats for their classmates :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so cute and special, handmade is always wonderful to receive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They did a great job! It's wonderful that they are learning to value something handmade over store bought! So much more special :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My nephews are oh so talented. I love the cards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so much more special! They did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a special time you spent with your boys. I know what you mean about Michaels - I have to remember to breathe when I walk in. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cards :D I stamp all my cards these days - it saves me money plus its much more fun and personal!

    Lovely blog! :]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it fun to do the handmade valentines with the kiddos? Their cards came out perfect! I love them. =0)
    ~Kim
    http://2justByou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey!! Fellow San Diegan I see!! :-)
    ♥ Kyna

    ReplyDelete