Thursday, October 18, 2012

Whimsical Notions & Heartfelt Songs

My boys are a hoot! One of my biggest joys as a parent is musing about all the fun and charming things Paco and Tomás do and say everyday. Creating magic and playfulness out of ordinary objects is the beauty and wonder of a child's imagination. 

For instance, I love how by just adding a trail of round stepping stones throughout our backyard has made my boys playtime outside more than just play. They now jump from stone to stone while pretending they are on some grand adventure fighting anything from zombies to enemies of Mario and Luigi. 

And just last week, the first big rainfall of this Autumn season arrived and my boys couldn't of been more happier. They were ecstatic to see "Mr. Puddle" return and made sure to greet him every time they stepped outside of the house. "Mr. Puddle" is the small pond of water that collects right in front of our driveway during every major rainstorm. They treat this temporary visitor like he was part of the family. Of course, there is also "Mr. Skeleton" hanging outside our front door. To the boys, he is also family even if he only comes around once a year. My youngest, Tomás, even mentioned to me that he is glad "Mr. Skeleton" has no skin so he won't be too cold being outside. Such whimsical notions always makes me smile and reminds me to try to see the wonders in life of everything. 

"Mr. Puddle" enjoying the afternoon sun.

"Mr. Skeleton" hanging outside our front door. He's kept company by our ornamental plum tree that we named "Eats A Lot".

To amplify these tenderhearted moments, I love to listen to certain songs that remind me of the simple, carefree days of my childhood and of my boys growing up. The lyrics of each song are so poetic. Below is a list of those songs:


  • "Pure Imagination" sung by Sarah McLachlan or originally by Gene Wilder (Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory)
  • "Junk" sung by Sara Gazarek or originally by Paul McCartney
  • "We're Going to be Friends" sung by the White Stripes
  • "Big Bird in a Small Cage" sung by Patrick Watson
  • "Rainbow Connection" sung by The Glee Cast or originally by Kermit the Frog

Enjoy the music and here's to many flights of whimsy! Also, I'd love to hear about any of your favorite songs that conjures up warm-hearted memories of childhood! 


4 comments:

  1. i love when kids have these wonderful lil imaginations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i listen to joshua radin to mellow out. Go check him out. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww kids are the best! My son is the same way, everything is named, Mr. Teddy Bear, Mr. Pillow haha I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Mr. Skeleton and Mr. Puddle! Sounds like your children are very creative little people :).

    ReplyDelete