Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Favorite VOGUE Photographs

I just picked up the latest issue of VOGUE Magazine featuring Keira Knightley on the October 2012 cover. The Mario Testino photo spread of Knightley, costumed for her role as Anna Karenina, is absolutely stunning! And for that very reason this post is a visual celebration of my favorite photographs from VOGUE's current and past issues. 

Gorgeous midnight blue gown by Valentino Haute Couture (Source: VOGUE Magazine)

Silk tulle & organza with nearly 5,000 feathers coat and dress by Chanel Haute Couture. (Source: VOGUE Magazine)


Another recent VOGUE favorite is the December 2011 issue with Charlize Theron. I thought the whole  "Aphrodite-esque" out of the sea photo shoot by the brilliant Annie Leibovitz was beautiful and dramatic especially with its cool, greyish-blue colors perfect yet atypical for a winter issue.


 Sea-sprayed Theron in a silver-glass and metal beaded dress by Alexander McQueen. (Source: VOGUE Magazine)

Underwater siren in a Christopher Kane dress. (Source: VOGUE Magazine)



Probably my favorite so far is the December 2007 VOGUE issue with Penelope Cruz "Made In Spain" and photographed by Annie Leibovitz. First, I love Spain. Second, I think Penelope Cruz is a total beauty who makes clothes look even more beautiful. And third, I love bull-fighting outfits and someday I must get Carlos to wear one just for me!

Cruz wearing a Dior Haute Couture coat dress by John Galliano. The crimson silk coat dress is fitted with embroidery details, vermillion wool hat, and crystal and pearl belt. Earrings by Fred Leighton. (Source: VOGUE Magazine)

Cruz wearing a onyx duchess silk dress inspired by Goya and by John Galliano/Dior Haute Couture. She is pictured with Spanish Bullfighter Rivera Ordonez. (Source: VOGUE Magazine)

In a gorgeous Marchesa ebony silk tulle ball dress with gold hand-embroidered lead appliqué. Ordonez and that outfit is quite remarkable! (Source: VOGUE Magazine)  

Cruz in an Armani Privé black and green apple satin dress. Crystal earrings by Dior Haute Couture/John Galliano. (Source: VOGUE Magazine)


For the December 2005 VOGUE, costumes by Colleen Atwood for the movie "Memoirs of a Geisha" were featured in a photo shoot by Paolo Roversi. "Costume Dramas" showcased actresses Gong Li and Zhang Ziyi in these dazzling, vibrant kimonos. 

Gong Li in a chinchilla collared coat worn over a hand-painted and embroidered kimono by Costume Designer Colleen Atwood. (Source: VOGUE Magazine)

Zhang Ziyi in a red and white silk crane print kimono. (Source: VOGUE Magazine)


The First Lady Michelle Obama looked spectacular in blue in the January 2009 VOGUE photographed by Annie Leibovitz. I really love the richness in color and the beauty and confidence the First Lady projects.

 
Narciso Rodriguez azure blue gown paired with a sapphire blue wrap. (Source: VOGUE Magazine)


April 2011 UK VOGUE. Just stunning - that's how Kate Winslet appears with her short, platinum blonde hair and photographed in dramatic black-and-white style by Mario Testino.

Love, love, love this photograph of Kate! The entire shot is just so strikingly beautiful. (Source: VOGUE Magazine)

             

 I love this picture of Kate Winslet (Source: VOGUE Magazine) simply because it reminds me of a 19th century Bust of Psyche of Capua (Source: University of Saskatchewan), a favorite sculpture of mine since I was 13 years old. 



I'm sure there are plenty of VOGUE photographs that I missed or forgotten over the years, and if I do remember them I will surely add them later down the road. Also, if you have any favorites you'd like to share, please do! I always enjoy the quality of a gorgeous photograph just as much as I do a painter's masterpiece!

Thanks for looking! 

2 comments:

  1. i love kiera's photos. At first glance i thought they were your paper dolls! They look so close. And jess, why were there only few shots of the bullfighter? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am highly inspired by haute couture fashion (like what Kiera was wearing) when I put together my paper dolls. It must be so fun to be dressed up in such beautiful clothes...at least I can live through that fantasy with my dolls :) And Noel, I would have posted more shots of the bullfighter but that was the entirety of his pics in the magazine!

    ReplyDelete