Monday, August 20, 2012

Simply Sunsets

There's nothing quite like an ocean sunset. I'm lucky to live in an area where the ocean is just a few minutes drive from home and the chance to camp for a few days at the beach is not much further. For the past four summers as well as this summer, my family and I have had the wonderful opportunity to go beach camping at South Carlsbad State Beach. Not only do we get to dine and sleep right next to the ocean waves but we also get to witness some of the most beautiful sunsets. 

 August 5, 2009. Me at our campsite, #156 and sunset in background. Our second year beach camping.

August 25, 2010. Sunset from our campsite, #37. Just stunning.


August 22, 2011. Carlos, me, and sunset at our campsite, #37 again. 

April 15, 2012. Spring beach camping at #37 and our evening view.

April 16, 2012. End of second day of Spring beach camping.

August 15, 2012. Gorgeous, golden sunset during our first evening of beach camping at site #37.

August 16, 2012. Purple hue sunset on our second evening. 

Of course, most of my days are spent at home and sunsets by the ocean are an occasional treat. However, I have found sunsets can be spectacular just about anywhere. Outside my door steps where I live atop a few mesas east of the ocean, the sunsets can be stunningly dramatic. 

September 2006. Sunsets of past years, view from my front yard.

 November 2006. Across my small street, my neighbors palm tree and beautiful purple, pink sunset.


I even have a picture of an October sunset from my parents house (my childhood home) in Spring Valley, CA. Spring Valley is further inland about 12 miles east from where I live today. As you can see, the sunset colored sky is still so simply beautiful.

October 2011. A view of sunset and moon from my parents front yard.

According to Oscar Wilde "sunsets are old-fashioned". But I think many of those who witness these stunning scenes of colored infused skies might disagree. What's old is new again and that is what every sunset is like to me.

3 comments:

  1. summers are the best and rather short and twilights are always something i never wanted to dissipate. I must say that i am not quite ready for fall yet. And jessica, you never aged on your photos! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really can't wait for Fall! Sunsets are more dramatic I think during Fall :) Plus I can do without the heat of Summer!!! Did you get my message sent via Etsy? Do check it, please, and let me know if your schedule allows me time to dine with you sometime during Labor Day week. Also, you are the embodiment of ageless, Noel! I can only hope to look as youthful and slim as you do in my 40s :)

    ReplyDelete